The OpenSats General Fund is a pool of money that is used to support Bitcoin-related free and open source projects and contributors. The fund is made up of donations from individuals and organizations.
Projects that are eligible for funding from the General Fund must meet the following criteria:
- They must be Bitcoin-related.
- They must be free and open source.
- They must be of high quality and have the potential to make a significant impact on the Bitcoin ecosystem.
The OpenSats Board of Directors reviews all applications for funding from the General Fund. The Board considers the following factors when making funding decisions:
- The project's alignment with OpenSats' mission.
- The project's feasibility and potential impact.
- The project's leadership and team.
- The project's financial need.
The OpenSats General Fund has been used to support a wide variety of Bitcoin-related projects, including:
- The development of new Bitcoin and Bitcoin-adjacent software.
- The improvement of existing free and open-source software.
- Education and outreach about Bitcoin.
- Research into Bitcoin-related topics.
If you are interested in supporting the OpenSats General Fund, you can donate bitcoin or fiat currency to the fund here.
OpenSats is a 501(c)(3) public charity that aims to support and maintain a sustainable ecosystem of funding for free and open-source projects and contributors, especially Bitcoin related projects and projects which help Bitcoin flourish.
We believe that free and open-source software is essential to the future of the internet and the world. It allows people to collaborate and share knowledge, without being locked into proprietary software or hardware. This is especially important for Bitcoin, which relies on the open-source development community to maintain and improve its software.